Monday, January 10, 2011

Interviewing at Warner Bros tomorrow

I'm interviewing at Warner Bros for a development internship position tomorrow afternoon. Yes I have screenwriting ambitions but eventually I want to do more. Maybe start my own production company, or my own studio like Tyler Perry, or my own network like Oprah, maybe even direct.

I've always loved film and always had a talent for writing, and since I knew nothing at all about the business of film and television, screenwriting was my way in, but now my ambition is to be more than just a screenwriter.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with screenwriting, just understand that making a living as a screenwriter probably appears to be more glamorous than it actually is. First off, bear in mind that writing is a solitary endeavor.  You spend a lot of time alone, with only your thoughts and an empty page. It can be intimidating, if not infuriating.

If you become one of the lucky ones who actually sells your script you can be cautiously optimistic. Perhaps your agent, or manager will get you another paid writing job soon after your first sell. Perhaps your script will actually be produced and not shelved-indefinitely. Perhaps the studio or company that buys your script won't rewrite to the point that it is unrecognizeable to you. Perhaps your name will still be attached to it after all the rewrites. Perhaps your script makes it to production AND theatrical release. If all these things happen, then congratulations, you are a screenwriter. Pat yourself on the back and keep writing.

The truth is that making a living writing feature films is an ideal that not a lot of people will ever realize. Practically speaking, there just aren't that many films made. There are many more opportunities for television writers and the pay is much greater, especially if you get staffed on a successful show.

I don't say any of this to be a wet blanket. I'm simply here to educated you so you can make informed decisions. Aspring to be a screenwriter is great but in the mean time why not work in the film and television business and make those crucial hollywood contacts? Why not learn the different jobs available? Someone once told me that being a hyphenate, i.e, writer-producer, writer-director, writer-editor (preditor) is not a bad thing when trying to make it in this business.

No comments:

Post a Comment